Have you considered the statistics of how patients manage their medications once they leave the hospital?
- 20% of patients don’t fill their prescriptions*
- Patients often leave confused and don’t know how to take their prescriptions properly**
- 19% of Medicare discharges are followed by an adverse drug event (ADE) within 30 days*
- Patients may duplicate or miss prescriptions – and may take treatments not in their care plan***
These facts are alarming. Mitigating readmissions relies, in part, on executing a sound strategy to ensure patients are cared for after leaving the site of care. But how is this achieved?
Solution: Transitions of Care Services
When pharmacists assist with Transitions of Care, patient outcomes improve while readmissions and penalties decline. CPS Telepharmacy supports hospital pharmacy teams with 24/7/365 support for existing admission, discharge and follow-up care that gets results, including:
- Reduced medication-related readmissions by up to 50% in high-risk populations
- Increased HCAHPS scores by 14.7%
- Decreased ADEs by improving the medication reconciliation process with supplemental drug claims data and clinical pharmacist review
The CPS Telepharmacy Transitions of Care team delivers medication expertise and patient education around-the-clock. We drive higher satisfaction for patients, caretakers, hospitals and medical staff, reduce nursing and physician burnout and improve outcomes through increased patient engagement and understanding of drug therapies.
CPS Telepharmacy can also help reduce the risk of Medicare readmission penalties. Our team of clinical pharmacists have identified more than 60,000 interventions. We ensure that patients are educated about their medications so when discharged, they understand how and when to take their medications.
Solution: Remote Order Entry and Verification
Ensuring patient safety is not isolated to times of admission, discharge and discharge follow-up. When the hospital pharmacy has the resources to review physician orders – day or night – pharmacists have the benefit of catching medication errors before the patient is impacted. However, delivering 24/7/365 pharmacy coverage can be expensive if the hospital is relying solely on its in-house pharmacy staff.
CPS Telepharmacy delivers affordable, proven remote order verification services that support high-quality patient care and safety. Our team gets results. Last year, our clinical pharmacists:
- Successfully reviewed over 3 million orders
- Performed over 150,000 meaningful interventions
- Reduced pharmacy cost by an average of 45%
- Prevented medication errors – 417 near misses avoided per day
We operate from a central location, around-the-clock. Our efforts positively impact HCAHPS scores, ACO markers and hospital STAR ratings.
Click here to download more information about Transitions of Care services from CPS Telepharmacy.
SOURCES: *Medicare hospital readmissions: Issues, Policy Options and PPACA; **Dartmouth Atlas project; ***Health Research and Education Trust